Monday, November 7, 2016

Why I am skipping this election!

I have faithfully and dutifully cast a ballot in every election since I was 18.  I have preached as a high school government teacher on how it is our civic and moral duty to vote.  As I reflect on the past individuals I have voted for -- not one of them was my choice candidate.  I normally simply voted "for the lessor of two evils."

Today -- I am taking a stand -- and skipping this election entirely.   For the first time in my life neither candidate deserves my vote.  Neither candidate has earned my trust or faith to lead this country and I cannot cast a ballot for either of them.

This election has been an abomination -- the worst I have ever witnessed.  To call it a circus is being kind.  It lacked any real discussions about policy,  it was simply about each other.  A ruthless attack by both candidates on why the other is unfit to serve.

Trump and Clinton revealed there true character and lack thereof in each of the debates willing to sling the mud of hatred and fear to advance themselves.

I blame the Democratic party leadership for purposely destroying Bernie Sanders and supporting a tainted candidate in Hillary Clinton.  She has a long track record of dishonest and suspect decision-making.

Trump is no better -- He is literally a narcissistic demagogue.  His actions, words and opinions are embarrassing.  I really thought when he first started he would never last -- it was all a publicity stunt to increase the profitability of his name and here he is the Republican nominee?

I wondered how these two got here?  Do they represent us?  Is America that broken?  Are we truly that divided? Have we lost any sense of decorum?

Maybe --

I have endured the daily onslaught of social media with each side posting obvious falsehoods about each candidate.  I have read and heard the mean spirited words we have said to each other over the two candidates.  I have witnessed friendships end -- yes end -- over who they are supporting this election.  I have been guilty of  talking over other people and failing to listen to what they have to say.

Then I realized as I read and heard those mean spirited comments that indeed "yes" sadly Trump and Clinton are us -- we have lost our sense of decorum and respect of others and there opinions.  

We no longer listen to understand and to find common ground -- we simply find opinions and others that affirm our own thinking and ruthlessly and without care destroy them with mean personal attacks on there character or opinion.

It truly saddens me that compromise is a dirty word in politics.  We used to pride ourselves in those people who could forge common bonds to solve problems for the betterment of our communities and this country.  We respected and revered those who could make a passionate argument that swayed and changed the thinking of large groups of people.

One thing is for sure -- Americans are angry -- divided -- and ready for change.  People have lost faith in a system that is supposed to help and advance our country.

More than ever before I believe that until we truly eliminate the MONEY from the political system we will continue to elect those who serve the elites and not the common person.  We will not see the changes we all want because those who make the rules are beholden to those who have given them large campaign donations.  They have successfully and deftly got us to fight with each other and to focus on personalities rather than policy.

We the people have failed, failed each other, failed our communities, failed our children as they have now witnessed this crude and heartless election process.  We failed each other as we no longer listen, respect, and value others opinions.

I was reminded of an Adlai Stevenson quote when he said "Public confidence in the integrity of the Government is indispensable to the faith in Democracy."  Let those words sink in as you think about this election --

For the above reasons -- I am skipping this election and hope that regardless of the outcome on Tuesday that the loser find the capacity and grace to support the winner.  It might be what we all need to happen for us to move forward.











No comments:

Post a Comment